Friday, December 2, 2011

Buttermilk Bread


The warm scent in the air of bread baking...the hum of the oven...the anticipation of sinking your teeth into a thick, soft slice of homemade bread with a melting pat of butter!  Does it get any better than this?!

I've always loved homemade bread, but I have found that sometimes I'll get a stomach ache from too much of it, and eating less isn't an option!  However, pardon the advertisement here, Saf yeast has solved that problem for me.  I happened to casually ask about different yeasts at Sur la Table one time, and was told to use Saf yeast.  It's fantastic!  I've also reduced the amount of yeast I use now, and use baking powder as an additional leavening agent.


I feel like I'm cheating by using my bread maker, but it's the only way to go!  Throw in the ingredients, press "dough," and my hands are still clean.  My mom reminded me that the secret to great bread is to let it raise three times.  I had been trying to "hurry" my bread and only letting it raise twice, but good things come to those who wait, and great bread...well, you get the point! :)


In they go!


After the initial raise, I take the bread out from the machine, knead it briefly, then toss it into a greased bowl and place it in a slightly warmed oven.  (Not too hot or you'll kill your yeast!)


Three raises later, and it's ready to be rolled out, slathered with butter, and sprinkled with brown sugar and cinnamon.


I like to put slash marks on the top of the bread to avoid getting huge air bubbles between the top crust and the rest of the bread.  Plus, it makes it look fancy =)


Let it rest for 30 minutes, then cook at 375 for ~30 minutes, until golden brown.  Remove from the oven and brush the top with butter for a soft, chewy crust.


Don't forget the shopping list!

Buttermilk Bread
4 cups unsifted flour
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon Saf yeast
2 tablespoon oil or butter
1 1/2 cups warmed buttermilk

If you're making your bread by hand, combine all your ingredients and knead for 7-10 minutes, allowing it to be a bit sticky when you start and smooth and elastic by the end.

From one hearty appletite to another...happy cooking!

© Photography Hearty Appletite

No comments:

Post a Comment