Monday, December 12, 2011

Amish Pineapple - Sweetened Milk Dessert

Amish Pineapple - Sweet Milk Dessert
My fascination with the Amish dates back to the 6th grade, when I quickly pulled a pink book off a book shelf in class to avoid getting in trouble for not bringing a book to read for Sustained Silent Reading.  When I got to my seat, I glanced at my book to see what my hasty selection had provided me, and I was disappointed to see that it was a plain cover, with a mere pencil sketch on the front and a title that contained the word, "plain."  I now wish that I could remember the exact title, because I loved the book, fell in love with the idea of the culture and have been captivated ever since.  

Much like the aforementioned book, this dessert title didn't capture my fancy but it intrigued me and I had to make it.  And again, like my experience with the book, it far surpassed my initial judgment and is definitely something I would make again.  

In my cookbook, "Amish Cooking" by Pathway Publishers © 1977, the recipe is called Eagle Brand Dessert.  I have renamed it Amish Pineapple - Sweet Milk Dessert, keeping in the plain fashion.  In my defense of this next picture, the recipe simply says to boil a can of eagle brand milk for 3 1/2 hours.  After a half an hour, I decided this was most likely NOT what they meant.


Take two...


After 3 1/2 hours, remove from heat and cool.  The recipe says to chill, but I was eager to see what I had just made and opened the can while still a bit warm.  Slice the pineapple, add a dollop of golden sweetened milk, top with whipping cream and a maraschino cherry!


While I was dubious at first, I became a believer of this golden goodness that tastes like a rich, buttery caramel sauce.  Who knew that something so plain and simple could be so good?!


Don't forget the shopping list!

One can sweetened condensed milk
Pineapple
Whipping cream
Maraschino cherries

From one hearty appletite to another...happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment