Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Grasshopper Pie, Peppermint Style

Grasshopper Pie
My love affair with mint and chocolate dates back to my early years. I remember being at a neighborhood Christmas party, and standing on my tiptoes to sneak a peek at the pies on the counter and eyeing a fluffy, light green pie in a chocolate cookie crust. I was immediately intrigued and described this mysterious goodness to my mom, who enlightened me to the deliciousness of the grasshopper pie that she made unbeknownst to me. It was love at first site, confirmed by love at first bite…


To begin, crush 35 chocolate wafers and mix together with 1/2 cup melted butter.  Press into a pie pan.


Next, beat two cups of whipping cream until soft peaks form.  Set aside.


Blend together the marshmallow cream and creme de menthe until smooth.  (See note*)  Add 3 drops of green food coloring to bring out the grasshoppers ;)



Gently incorporate the whipped cream, and pour into the crust.  Freeze for 2 hours before serving.


The beauty of this recipe is that there's just enough left over for a Chef's Taster Cup.  Cheers!

Chef's Taster Cup :)

Don't forget the shopping list!

35 chocolate sandwich cookies
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 cup marshmallow creme
1/4 cup creme de menthe liqueur, or peppermint schnapps*
2 cups whipping cream
Green food coloring

*Note:  After extensively searching for a mini bottle of creme de menthe, I was informed that liquor stores only carry it in fifths now.  I opted out of paying $15.00 for the 1/4 cup I needed, and bought a mini peppermint schnapps.  It must have done the trick--the pie was gone in a grasshopper jump! 


From one classical appetite to another...happy cooking!

Photography © Sandra Baumgarten

No comments:

Post a Comment