Monday, November 28, 2011

The Chocolate Chip Cookie Strikes Back

Hearty Appletite's Chocolate Chip Cookie

For YEARS I have been on a quest to find the perfect chocolate chip cookie.  The cookie that is plump and chewy, and doesn't flatten once it cools.  The cookie you are proud to serve at church functions, PTA meetings, afternoon snacks, or dare I say it?...Dessert!  I have made dozens and dozens of recipes that promise to deliver such qualities, have pestered all my friends for their input, but still I've been disappointed.  I've tried melting my butter, whipping my butter, keeping my butter chilled in the fridge after each ingredient is added, decreasing the butter.  I was sure that the secret to success was within the preparation of the butter.  I'm here, as baking proof, that the secret is NOT in the butter (although I would still recommend using semi-cold butter).  My secret, my Cookie Monster friends, is in the eggs...or EGG, I should say.  While eggs usually add a chewiness and thickness to a baked good, they seem to only add more liquid in this cookie.

I'm here to offer you a recipe that I can boldly say will never fail you.  I'm so excited to have created such a chocolate chip cookie!!!  Having mastered this, everything else is pretty much "frosting." :)

Hearty Appletite's Chocolate Chip Cookie
3/4 cup chilled butter
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups UNsifted flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chips

Combine the butter and sugars until fully incorporated, but not until whipped.  Add the egg and blend, then add the vanilla.  In a smaller bowl, mix together your dry ingredients, and then add to the wet ingredients.  If you're hand-mixing right now, your bicep may start burning.  The dough will be stiff and a bit dry.  Add the chocolate chips.  Form into 1.5" balls but do not flatten.  Bake on parchment lined paper for 8-10 minutes in a 375 F oven.

Just typing out this recipe makes me want to jump up and make a batch!  Let me know what you think!

From one hearty appletite to another...happy baking!

© Photography by Sandra Baumgarten

No comments:

Post a Comment