Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Not Your Neighbor's Fudge!




The holidays are here and I couldn't be more pleased!  The days ahead will bring turkey and stuffing, fresh rolls, pies, and all of my favorite trimmings for Thanksgiving--the true kick-off to the Christmas season.  I can't wait to baste a turkey, humming along to the radio that plays Christmas songs 24/7.



In honor of all the festivities, I made fudge.  Nothing quite says Christmas like fudge.  Maybe that's why everyone makes it and gives it as a gift.  It's simply delicious, easy to make, and looks beautiful...well, does it look beautiful?  Fudge has always had a practical appearance to me.  A block of chocolate, wrapped in waxed paper and twisted on the ends.  You can buy it in candy stores this way, and this is how I've always seen fudge.  And, honestly, I've always been disappointed by store-bought fudge.  It tastes likes it's made with fillers like corn syrup or low-grade melting chocolate and tends to be a bit dry.


This year, I'm the neighbor making fudge, but this fudge is dressed up and ready to party alongside elegant grown-up desserts like truffles, opera cake and whipped mousses, and made with nothing but the finest ingredients!

In a 4 quart saucepot, add the milk, butter, salt and sugar.


Bring it to a rolling boil over medium heat for 5 minutes.  Don't skimp!  Stir constantly so avoid scorching the bottom.


Remove from heat and add the chocolate chips.  Tip:  when working with chocolate you never want to cook it.  Always use a double boiler or fold into a hot mixture that has been removed from the heat.


Add the marshmallow creme and vanilla!


It's usually about this point that I have to taste test...I can't resist!


Pour it into a waxed paper lined pan and chill.


Now it's time for your creatives juices take over and dress up your fudge!  I hand rolled some into balls and other pieces I cut into triangles.  Then I used crushed candy canes, chopped walnuts, edible pearls, and edible gold spray paint from Wilton's, but the sky's the limit with your candies!




Don't forget the shopping list!

7 oz. jar of marshmallow cream
1 1/2 c. sugar
2/3 evaporated milk
1/2 c. butter
1/4 t. salt
2 c. milk choc. chocolate chips
1 c. semi-sweet choc. chips
1 t. vanilla

Makes 2 1/2 lbs. fudge.


From one classical appetite to another...happy cooking!

© Photography by Sandra Baumgarten

2 comments: