Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Blueberry Pie

Blueberry Pie ala mode!
Blueberry pie is fitting for any season in my book.  Serve it hot and it's perfect for a rainy, chilly night, but it's the ultimate dessert choice when you come home with gallons of plump, sun-kissed, warm blueberries at the peak of the summer berry season.  There's no time when it isn't pie season!


No one makes a crust like my mom, Judy Olson, but I had to go it alone on this one since she wasn't home to come bake with me.  


You'll want to roll your crust out for about 3/16" thick.  This isn't math though, so whatever looks perfect to you will work.  I don't like a super thick crust, but too thin and it will fall apart!


I used frozen blueberries--oh, sweet summer memories--and tossed them with sugar and flour.  Let them stand at room temperature about 30 minutes.  That way they're softened, but not thawed.


Here's an opportunity to learn from my mistake :)  I had to roll out my crust before I was ready to bake it.  I rolled it up and put it in the fridge, due to space limitations, but I didn't allow it to thaw completely before flattening it out.  The result?  Cracks in the crust.  Well, it still tasted good!


I put my pie bird in the middle to avoid bubbling over, and it's just so cute!


I served it up ala mode, and enjoyed every bite! :)


From one hearty appletite to another...happy baking!

Mom's Butter Pie Crust
2 1/4 cups flour, spooned method
3/4 cup cold butter
3/4 teaspoon salt
~1/2 cup cold water, just enough water for form a ball of dough

Cut cold butter into flour and salt, until it resembles small pea-sized balls.  I like to use my fingers because it slightly warms the butter.  Add the water by sprinkling in slowly, stirring between each sprinkle.  Once the dough is hanging together, divide into two balls.  Roll out a bottom crust and lay in a 9" glass pie pan.  Fill with berry mixture.  Roll second crust and lay on top.  Moisten the seam with water, trim the edges and crimp together.

Blueberry Filling
5 cups blueberries
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, optional

Mix together flour and sugar (and cinnamon) and toss with blueberries.  Pour into pie shell. Cover with top crust.  Pierce with a fork multiple times, to allow steam to escape, and sprinkle with sugar.  Bake at 425 F for 35-45 minutes, or until crust is light golden brown.

Photograph © Hearty Appletite

No comments:

Post a Comment