Saturday, March 3, 2012

Homemade Basil Pesto


Aside from my love of baked goods, I really eat pretty clean.  I guess it's because of my love of baked goods that I make sure the rest of what I feed myself is full of vitamins, organically grown veggies, and grass-fed beef.  Anyway, to pack in a few more ways to eat leafy greens, I made basil pesto.  It's quick, easy, and a great way to dress up pasta!  Also, a fun way to eat "green" for St. Patrick's Day =)


In a food processor, combine the basil, pine nuts, and garlic, and pulse until chopped. 


Add olive oil and incorporate until smooth. Stir in grated cheese.  Toss over cooked pasta, or add as a spread to a meat and cheese sandwich.  Also works nicely with tomato and mozzarella slices!


From one hearty appletite to another...happy cooking!

Basil Pesto
2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 cup grated pecorino romano cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Photograph © Hearty Appletite

No comments:

Post a Comment