Thursday, March 15, 2012

Mascarpone Cheese Danish



When the two ingredients for this month's Improv Cooking Challenge at Frugal Antics of a Harried Housewife were revealed, I immediately dismissed participating.  I'm not a huge spud fan so potatoes and cheese didn't sing out my name.  Then, with no time to plan or bake, and only a couple hours remaining until the challenge, I was hit with inspiration!  I threw my potato bread in the bread machine, ran out the door to choir practice, and left instructions for my husband to punch down my dough at the designated times on my list.  Thanks, honey!



At the 11th hour (seriously, it's 11:12pm as I type), I present to you a Mascarpone Cheese Danish in a potato bread croissant wrap!  We instantly ate this one up as soon as I took its picture.  So delish!!!



A flakey, buttery shell, encasing a warm, delicate, sweet mascarpone filling.  Midnight snack, anyone?


From one hearty appletite to another...happy baking!

Potato Sweet Roll Dough
1 cup warm milk
2 1/4 teaspoons yeast (1package)
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup mashed potatoes
3 1/2 cups flour

Butter Layer
1 cup cold butter

Mascarpone Filling
8 ounces mascarpone cheese (cream cheese can be substituted)
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Mix together ingredients for the dough and knead for 10 minutes, until smooth and elastic.  Resist adding additional flour.  This will make your dough tough.  You want the dough to start off slightly sticky.  Allow to raise in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours.  Knead lightly.  Allow to rest another 1 1/2 hours.  For the remainder of directions on how to make a flaky, croissant style dough for this pastry, I'm going to refer you to this site: Classic Croissants at Fine Cooking.

Make your dough in 6x6" squares.  Spoon 3 tablespoons of filling down the center, from point to point, and wrap two of the sides together.

Bake at 400 F for 12-14 minutes, until light golden brown.  Brush with butter after you pull them from the oven.  Enjoy!

Photograph © Hearty Appletite




No comments:

Post a Comment