Monday, January 16, 2012

Tchaikovsky's Lemon Sunshine Cookie Cake


Today seemed like a good day for a run.  The sun was shining, a joyful chorus of birds was twittering, and the fresh air of a rare sunny, wintry day was begging me to come join in its glory.


I'm fairly new to running, having started last July by accident--yes, it was an accident-- and I'm not a "die hard."  If it's dark, raining, too cold, or too hot, I don't run.  But I really enjoy knowing that I can run and not have to throw-up afterwards, and I like the feeling of accomplishment. 



 I'm also a very slow runner.  Hats off to the elderly gentleman with a walker who passed me ;)  However, I almost feel that it's because I don't view myself as a Runner that I enjoy it so much.  It's just me getting exercise, not having to commit to doing it if I don't feel like it, not having to worry about getting better, etc.  I simply lace up my shoes and throw myself out the door and down the street.


But, back to today's run, it was truly glorious: the sunshine illuminating my path, and the nip of the air reminding me of this stolen moment in January.


 As a classically trained pianist and singer, I like to listen to classical music when I run.  Hearing flutes and violins with lively melodies makes me feel free and light, blissfully unaware of my feet pounding the pavement.


   Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto in B-flat accompanied me on my run today and, along with the golden rays, inspired this Lemon Sunshine Cookie Cake.  The cookies look like little round, yellow suns, and the whipped cream is soft and light like the fresh air on my face.  Good run, good cookies, good cake!  I give it a standing ovation!

From one hearty appletite to another...happy cooking!

Thin Crisp Lemon Cookies
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon lemon extract
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder

Mix together and form into 1 1/4" balls.  Flatten slightly with your finger tips.  Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.  Allow to cool completely.  Makes 38 cookies.

Filling and Frosting
2 cups whipping cream
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Whip cream until it starts to thicken.  Slowly add the sugar and beat just until firm.

Assembly

Spread a strip of whipped cream down the center of a serving plate to put the cookies on. Spread a generous spoonful on each cookie and stack them on their sides on the whipped cream on the plate to make a long log.

You'll need to judge the number of cookies to use. When about 1/3 of the cream is left, stop adding cookies and start frosting the outside of the.

When the cookies are frosted and stacked, cover the entire log with more whipped cream thickly and thoroughly. Be sure to get all the way around the sides of the cookies with the cream. Cover and chill in refrigerator for at least eight hours. Slice on a diagonal to serve.




Photography © Hearty Appletite

No comments:

Post a Comment