Monday, January 23, 2012

Roasted Eggplant Appetizer

Roasted Eggplant with Romano Cheese

I know many of you are thinking, "Eggplant?  I did not see this coming!"  And I can honestly say, "Neither did I!"  I've never made eggplant before.  The first and only time I've eaten it was when we were in the Jewish Quarter of Paris two years ago, waiting in line for falafels.  I couldn't read the menu, so I pointed and received the most delicious falafel.  Atop the warm, scrumptious dish, was what I discovered to be eggplant.  Chewy, yet soft, and quite similar to a zucchini in my opinion (although it's actually a nightshade, related to the potato and tomato and hails from India).

Back to my story, I was shopping at the grocery store and there were huge boxes of eggplants as I entered.  The intensely purple, nearly black, spongy vegetable made quite an impression on my 13 month old, and to make the shopping trip a bit more enjoyable, I picked one up and handed it to her, assuming I'd kissed away a dollar for happiness.


After it served its purpose to my daughter (the back of this has teeth marks), I looked up the health properties and found out that the eggplant lowers cholesterol! I don't have cholesterol problems, but healthy is healthy!


 I chopped it up and sprinkled it with olive oil, salt and pepper


I oven roasted the coins at 400 F for 15-20 minutes, flipping half way through.  I garnished them with finely grated romano cheese for the last 2 minutes.


So delicious!  I ate more than I planned, but I figured that could only help me as my next post contains butter :)


From one hearty appletite to another...happy cooking!

Photography © Hearty Appletite

No comments:

Post a Comment