Sunday, September 19, 2021

Sourdough Apple Spice Cake Roll


Nothing quite says fall like pumpkins...wait...apples! I saw this delicious recipe for a Sourdough Pumpkin Roll over at Farmhouse on Boone and I couldn't wait to make it. I've been making sourdough on a daily basis for a year now (see how to make sourdough starter here) and, as a person being gluten-free for 10 years, I've been able to tolerate wheat if it's fermented. So, this recipe appealed to me because of my love of pumpkin, fall, fermented wheat and all things delicious!


 I started making the recipe, only to realize that my new obsession with homemade pumpkin lattes had depleted my stash of pumpkin...sigh. But not to be discouraged, I did have applesauce on hand and so my pumpkin roll instantly became an apple roll, and who's to say it isn't every bit as delicious, or even more delicious, if you're in an apple-loving mood? 


I basically followed the recipe how it's listed, but since I was using applesauce instead of pumpkin, I scaled back the sugar a bit since apples are much sweeter. We try to stay away from overly sweetened foods to fine tune our taste buds to the richness of food in their natural state.

From our kitchen to yours, happy cooking!

             God Bless
                Sandra xoxo


            Apple Cake

            1 cup flour
            1/2 cup applesauce
            1/2 cup sourdough starter
            1 teaspoon cinnamon
            1/2 teaspoon salt
            3 eggs
            2 teaspoons vanilla
            1/3 cup maple sugar (or 1/2 cup regular sugar)
            1 teaspoon baking soda

Mix the first three ingredients together. Cover with a dishcloth and allow to ferment 12-24 hours. Add the remaining ingredients to the mixture and bake at 375 F on a parchment lined 10x15" baking sheet for 15 minutes or until done. 

As soon as it comes out of the oven, place a dish towel over the cake and flip the cake onto the towel being careful to not tear the cake.  Roll it up in the dishcloth until cool.

            Filling

            8 ounces cream cheese
            1/4 teaspoon butter
            1/4 cup maple syrup
            1 teaspoon vanilla

Cream together butter and cream cheese. Add in the maple syrup and vanilla. Unroll the cake and evenly coat the entire cake with the filling. Roll it back up. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment