Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Slow-Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwich with Caramelized Apple Filling


Several years ago, I went to York, England, with my mom and kids, and we found this little shop that sold pulled pork sandwiches with some type of apple chutney.  They were so delicious!  We ate them on a park bench, and despite how cold we were, and how numb our fingertips became while holding these hot babies in our un-mittened hands, the trip was worth every bite!  Since I can't go back to York every day for lunch, I can bring a bit of York here.  



I prepped everything, including slicing my apples and onions, in the morning for a quick dinner in the evening.


As odd as this sounds, I followed a recipe that said to season the pork and pour a can of root beer over the top.  I did this, but for my own tastes, I should have followed some of the commenters and used regular beer or chicken stock.  For sweet tooths, this might be just perfect!


From one hearty appletite to another...happy cooking!

Pulled Pork Sandwiches
1 (2 pound) pork tenderloin
12 ounces broth: chicken, beer, root beer
1 cup barbecue sauce
salt, pepper and garlic powder

Season the tenderloin and place it in a slow cooker.  Pour in the broth of your choice, and cook on low until pork shreds easily ~ 6-7 hours.  Drain.  Shred pork and pour in barbecue sauce.

Caramelized Apples and Onions
6 apples, quartered, cored and sliced thinly
1 sweet onion, sliced in 1/2" rings and quartered
salt, to taste

In skillet, drizzle with olive oil and add apples and onions.  Sprinkle with salt and sauté over medium-low heat for 20-30 minutes, stirring frequently, until soft and golden brown.

Photograph © Hearty Appletite

No comments:

Post a Comment